70 by 40 - Ultimate Ramblings

Friday, January 27, 2006

The Pre-Season Tour Continues

To me there are three ultimate seasons: the pre-season, the spring season, and the fall series. Usually the fall and spring you play with you club team, but the pre-season is wide open and this year I am taking advantage of it yet again to play with top-level club players from other teams besides the Condors. I always enjoy it. Don’t get me wrong, I love the Condors and I have made life-long friends in my last 7 seasons in Santa Barbara to go along with winning a few titles. But there is something about playing with new people at tourneys, where the whole life of the team is that one weekend, which I enjoy. I've already played in one tourney, the Leiout beach event a few weekends ago with Carbomb. This weekend I’m playing in Tempe with ZiPPo, which will consist of club players from last year’s Condors, Bravo, Ring and Tampa’s Bulge. I played with them last year and we came up 3 points short of a perfect weekend: made new friends, partied like rock stars, got some sweet preferential treatment with our local grizzled vet that got us on the “good” fields all weekend and almost won the whole thing, losing 17-14 in the finals.

I’m confident we will have the same results in everything we had last year in regards to partying and good times. I’m looking forward to playing with classic ultimate icons like Mickey and Jimmy Price. I’m just hoping that we can secure those last 3 points this time, should we make the finals, and bring home the Tempe trophy. A win would be a solid accomplishment with JAM ’06 making their 1st appearance of the year (apparently there is no pre-season in San Francisco) along with other great ringer club teams. And it would be nice to win a major tourney 6 years after the only other time I’ve won there, marking what would be the longest I’ve gone between winning a tourney two different times. I’ll try and get a recap up next week.

6 Comments:

  • Corey, can you explain how a team forms from different geographical areas? What exactly unites you guys for that one weekend?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/27/2006 4:42 PM  

  • Corey,

    Rumor has it it was an exciting Finals with lots of travel calls. Details please.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/30/2006 9:56 AM  

  • If this were the Count's blog or Jim's, us little anonymous readers would have gotten a response by now.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/30/2006 8:04 PM  

  • I'll step in. Hello, I'm no club player, but i played one on tv. perhaps you saw me in such specials as 'ultimate on the deuce..'

    corey's been playing for 12 or more years now. high level ulti has been his focus for that duration. he's played with teams on both coasts. his team probably included jimmy from tampa (and formerly of condors), friends of jimmy's from tampa, also, some condors live in bay area, and play disc together during the off season at pickups, etc... there are also college connections...

    does that answer?

    there's usually an organizer involved. jim nesbitt used to be really active in putting together ringer teams for non-club tourneys, roping in good athletes for tourneys...

    good players play, and develop mutual respect for each other, even willing to play with those effin' cheaters from wherever...

    it's like the probowl.

    with defense, at least in the last 3 games of the tournament...

    By Blogger Luke, at 1/30/2006 8:46 PM  

  • yeah, yeah. what luke said!

    i'm tight with butta & JP, so they got me on the team last year and now it's a tradition. regardless of how often Bravo has thought I'm a cheater, now at least they know I'm not afraid to make a call when i play with them, too!

    we really only played D in one game, the semis.

    By Blogger Corey, at 1/31/2006 4:34 PM  

  • Jim Nesbitt of Thermonuke fame?

    Or Jim Nesbitt of PBR shame?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/31/2006 5:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home