70 by 40 - Ultimate Ramblings

Friday, August 24, 2007

Winning the Lottery

When I went to an early season Condor tryout, I played great. On the first day I even had the game winning block in a scrimmage and then threw the winning goal. Guys were glad to see me back. There were loads of "You still got it" being thrown out there at me. And I was kicking around playing again, but there was one big obstacle - my wedding on November 17th. I just wasn't sure I could really put as much thought into my wedding if I was playing ultimate and working full time. I told the captains, Whit, Rhett and Johnny, I wished I could play, but I'd probably have to win the lottery and not be working anymore. So I bowed out after thinking about it for a few weeks.

Well, who would have known, I won the freaking lottery.

OK, OK, getting a fat buyout from work isn't the same thing. But the results are similar - I'm getting paid to do nothing. So I've been working out, getting back into shape and now it's time to think about ultimate. Amazingly, I've got three options I'm choosing from. I could play for the Condors, JAM or masters with Above and Beyond.

Condors are my first love. Won all those titles. Played with them forever it felt like. And I'm the self-proclaimed "Head of LA scouting" for Santa Barbara (yes on Jimmy Chu, no on Sean Boyle. Sean, WTF?). So many close friends and one of the only pieces of the puzzle they need is a bit more veteran leadership. Could be great playing with them.

JAM. Played and won Davis with them. So many ex-Condors that I won titles with. One might think they are my best shot at the title, but then one would also have to realize they have never won any trophies with the letters "UPA" attached to them. But Idris said he knows I bring chemistry and I am damn close with almost every single player on the team. Would probably only play 2-3 points a game, but that's all an old geezer like myself really wants against young kids. Maybe I need to pull a Joe Montana and end my career with some team I have no rights playing with.

Above & Beyond. With 87 guys already on the roster, they certainly don't need me. But they recognize my game is at the top level of the masters. Plus, I bring some quality knowledge of the Seattle and Boulder teams that the NYers don't really have. Tack on the fact that I'd be playing with two of my best friends and my college roommate, it sounds like fun. Let alone all my previous NY teammates from 94-98 that I have not played with for years.

It's a tough call. The friendships I have go deep on all three teams - each has at least one of my wedding groomsman playing on it. I have to decide by Labor Day so I can get in with JAM or Condors. Masters decision would be the default. What would YOU do!?!?!?

3 Comments:

  • Whichever open team you live closest to. Driving 600 miles round-trip to play frisbee every week sucks.

    By Blogger Travis Finucane, at 8/24/2007 10:18 PM  

  • Depends on what you want-

    If you want to play more years, go Condors and help them build and maybe get back to the top again.

    If you want one more chance at finals, go Jam. More of a chance to muster up a run this year. Plus, someone told me that Jam 07 would have been great in 03. That counts for something...

    If you want to go to worlds next year, try Masters. A much less grueling path, although it seems as though more teams are joining the ranks

    By Blogger sometallskinnykid, at 8/25/2007 1:01 PM  

  • For a fair percentage of your buyout, we'd be happy to sign you to a one-day contract so you can end your career with DoG.

    By Blogger parinella, at 8/26/2007 12:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home